Forum Index > Talk to Admins > Posibly doing a LORD rewrite ( in Python or Ruby) thoughts?

Questions? Ideas? Any discussion that you'd like to have with the admins should go in this forum. Forum rules and announcements can also be found here.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Posibly doing a LORD rewrite ( in Python or Ruby) thoughts?

Postby Plague Monkey on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:11 am

I'm considering writing LORD in Python. Mostly for practice / huge fan.

What are your thoughts? I'm looking at a few aspects:

1) Legal, I'm not sure what I can get away with but also not so worried (obviously not worried to screw around on my own computer).

2) Would TMO / community consider using it if it were 100% authentic to this version and stable?

3) Is it worth settling the age old questions like does doing X increase the odds of Y (which we mostly know but rumors persist)? Is that bad?

4) Realm rules could be enforced in code such as permission for duels in green / blue. Worth it or prefer the honor system?

5) A solid admin panel / system could be added (not sure what the backend looks like now). Saves enough time or not worth it?

Any overall thoughts? I'd probably open source it or at least deliver the source to TMO etc

Edit: just saw this resurrection thread from a year ago viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10222&hilit=rewrite
Not such a fan of the HTML / Flash approach but has it's advantages. I may just screw around and see what comes of it.
I'm not a fan of new graphics just slightly smoother and cleaner / no bugs.

-Plague Monkey
Plague Monkey
Empty Armor
Empty Armor

Re: Posibly doing a LORD rewrite ( in Python or Ruby) though

Postby injektilo on Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:06 pm

I'd probably check out what falk's done here: lord.datum.tv

He rewrote the whole game with basically all the things you mentioned. To adapt it to work here was going to be a lot of work and never went anywhere, I think.
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Re: Posibly doing a LORD rewrite ( in Python or Ruby) though

Postby the mystical one on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:23 pm

FYI, Falks was sorta based on my rewrite, which I still haven't tested under linux/Mono because I never had time to set up a Virtual Machine to do so.
baldninja.com
If your intended destination is suddenly vaporized, consider pulling over and watching the cool light show.
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Return to Talk to Admins