Forum Index > Talk to Admins > Ye Olde Forum Rules

Questions? Ideas? Any discussion that you'd like to have with the admins should go in this forum. Forum rules and announcements can also be found here.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Ye Olde Forum Rules

Postby the mystical one on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:06 pm

FORUM GUIDELINES

We would like to keep the atmosphere here civil. Debating is good, flaming and personal attacks are bad. Feel free to post your own opinions, but also remember to respect other people’s as well. As long as these guidelines are followed, there should be no need to close/delete threads.

Adult Material
Nuklear LORD has always been a site designed for the general public, and thus, content included on our pages should remain strictly within the parental guidance suggested standard (PG13). We want everyone to feel comfortable browsing the forums at home, school, or work without any fear of running into content that might potentially make them uncomfortable or result in negative consequences. This extends to both textual and pictorial posts.

Reproduction of Private Messages
All private messages should remain private, unless previously discussed and agreed upon with all parties involved. Posting the contents of a private message without the consent of the other parties is not allowed.

Personal Attacks
Nuklear LORD is a community where personal attacks will not be tolerated. A warning will be sent to those who personally attack another member or hurl hate-filled messages at groups of people. The definition of a personal attack may be found here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_attacks) and includes the following (as taken from Wikipedia):

• Racial, sexual, homophobic, ageist, religious, political, ethnic, or other epithets (such as against people with disabilities) directed against another contributor. Disagreement over what constitutes a religion, race, sexual preference, or ethnicity is not a legitimate excuse.
• Using someone's affiliations as a means of dismissing or discrediting their views — regardless of whether said affiliations are mainstream.
• Linking to external attacks, harassment, or other material for the purpose of attacking another [member].
• Threats

Obviously, some degree of subjectivity goes into determining whether a comment is a personal attack, but the context of comments will be taken into consideration. We do not intend to take away the fun and joking that results from friendship. We merely request that forum members be conscientious of their posts and the impact they might have upon others.

The penalties for making such an attack either through a post, signature or through the private messaging system are now as follows:

1st offence - Warning
2nd offence - 3 day ban
3rd offence - 7 day ban
4th offence - 14 day ban
5th offence - 30 day ban
6th offence - permanent ban

Moderators may always issue a warning if they deem it the most appropriate course of action.
Moderators may always issue a higher tier ban when the offense merits it (such as extremely hate-filled messages, or constant ban-worthy rule-breaking).

Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully ... without insult and personal attack.

Forum Trolling
Not sure what it is? Click here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_troll
Do not be a troll and do not feed the trolls! The posts of trolls are pointless and generally bring down the overall quality of the community. An example would be if someone posts a question or statement just to get a rise out of forum members, or to start a flame war. Flaming just to incite reactions is also frequently trollish behavior.

Disagree with a Moderator Decision?
While meaning well, moderators are not omniscient, nor are they perfect. If you happen to disagree with a decision made by a moderator or feel as if the moderator made a decision hastily without knowing all the facts, we encourage and welcome your feedback. If we feel that your argument is valid, we may choose to overturn our decision. We do, however, ask that you do so through PM and that you do so politely. Any angry responses may risk additional punitive measures. While we are willing to discuss the reasoning for our actions and listen to you, we do have the final say in the matter. Please begin by communicating with the moderator that issued the decision before appealing to The Mystical One. If you go over their heads, I will make their decision final.

With all that being said, it is our sincerest hope that you enjoy yourself and this community.
baldninja.com
If your intended destination is suddenly vaporized, consider pulling over and watching the cool light show.
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Re: Ye Olde Forum Rules

Postby Sir FB on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Those are pretty darn well-written rules.

Here's something I've brought up in the past and perhaps warrants discussion. I have a moderate aversion to only questioning moderators decisions in private with the admin. I think sometimes, when a controversial decision has been made, a public debate of such decision is appropriate.

This is akin to the "Open Meeting Law" in force in most cities and rural communities. Counselors can always choose to go into private session amongst themselves, but if the government want to condemn a piece of private property or some similar onerous action, such decisions and processes must be open to the public.

So that's all I have to say about that. Otherwise, really nice job on making things clear and concise.
--------------------
The cheese stands alone.

Sir FB
Sir FB
Who?
Who?

Postby Boris The Black on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:41 pm

Concise and well thought out. Almost printed in bold and italic with a large type font. Hear. Hear.
Come On! It's just a flesh wound!
Boris The Black
Pink Elephant
Pink Elephant

Postby the mystical one on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:42 pm

Thank Electra and ChiliCat for that, they drew up pretty much the entirety of that (I added like.. two sentences or something).

As far as publicly discussing decisions? Yeah, that's okay, but we very much would like you to talk to us first before jumping straight to that. By the same token, we'll try to explain publicly why something was done, if appropriate.

Edit: And if you come to us privately first, we can better realize when we haven't publicly disclosed the necessary information. IE: going PM first gives us a chance to remedy such things before they explode on the forum. Discussion will then probably occur, but it'll then hopefully occur with less initial misunderstanding.
baldninja.com
If your intended destination is suddenly vaporized, consider pulling over and watching the cool light show.
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby Eliim on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:17 am

...and thus, content included on our pages should remain strictly within the parental guidance suggested standard (PG13). We want everyone to feel comfortable browsing the forums at home, school, or work without any fear of running into content that might potentially make them uncomfortable or result in negative consequences.

I would say that this guideline incites a rather large grey area. "Might", "potentially", "uncomfortable" ? Could we say something like "no naked photos", "no racial slurs", or are we now banning all swearing and innuendo from the forums? Also, when do debates constitute an "uncomfortable" environment?

My feeling is that the mods aren't there to supervise anyone or to teach people how to be civil. They're there to function as an orderly arm of the community so that things that obstruct the smooth functioning of that community are dealt with, without too many cooks in there to spoil the soup, so to speak. (In other words, they're there to serve the community.) As such, I think that the mods should be people who are visible (i.e. frequent posters), who are looked up to by members of the community, and who reflect the diversity of interests in the community. And two important facts about this forum are that 1. the diversity of interests here is huge and 2. the community is constantly changing.

Now, before I end up reinventing the wheel, I'd just like to say that I think the current mods function quite well. But I would like to stress again SFB's point that it's important for mods to have public accountability. Obviously, some decisions are straight forward and others are difficult but require immediate attention. This is why the mods have an executive power. Still, I think that the decisions made should reflect the general opinion of the larger community and not necessarily just those of the moderator. Thus, while we give power to the mods to make decisions about content in the forums, it's still very much in the role of an executor. (i.e. when it's clear that something is disrupting people, that is the time to take action.)

Recently, in discussions with Nuke, I've been reminded that this is his site and he can do with it whatever he pleases. Similarly, I realize that the mods are all appointed by TMO, they're not elected. I suppose by the nature of TMO's role here, he can also run the site as he pleases, which is an understandable position. It is my expressed hope, however, that this community can live beyond such necessary truths and that a realization is made: that whatever the original intentions for this place were, something new and organic has been created. It is composed of individuals who are human beings, and if cultivated and cared for in precisely the right ways, can produce truly beautiful interaction. We are absolutely at the mercy of "the gods", which is what makes what we have so fragile. Like life, it can be snuffed out all too easily, and its true worth and meaning can be so easily overlooked. So, in the end, I'm not saying that things are terribly wrong, but rather that I think that this is an important time to refocus a healthy and open attitude to the goings on of the forum.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Try not to become a man of success but a man of value. - Albert Einstein
Eliim
Double Dragon Slayer
Double Dragon Slayer

Postby the mystical one on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:22 am

See: PG-13. I believe we operate already under a PG-13-like environment. the 'might,' 'potentially,' and 'uncomfortable' is more of a flavor reasoning for the PG-13, and not the actual rule. If you want to read more into that flavor, you can read it as 'if you think something might be over the top, don't post it.'

Likewise, if I didn't think the a mod would act to reinforce the existing interests and maintain our standards of communication, they wouldn't be a moderator.

In other words, I don't care if you fucking swear occasionally, or trash-talk a bit (friendly banter!), but don't go cleaving people in half with an axe, spraying brains everywhere (metaphorically speaking).
baldninja.com
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby Sir FB on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:48 am

Eliim wrote: Similarly, I realize that the mods are all appointed by TMO, they're not elected. I suppose by the nature of TMO's role here, he can also run the site as he pleases, which is an understandable position. It is my expressed hope, however, that this community can live beyond such necessary truths and that a realization is made: that whatever the original intentions for this place were, something new and organic has been created. It is composed of individuals who are human beings, and if cultivated and cared for in precisely the right ways, can produce truly beautiful interaction. We are absolutely at the mercy of "the gods", which is what makes what we have so fragile. Like life, it can be snuffed out all too easily, and its true worth and meaning can be so easily overlooked. So, in the end, I'm not saying that things are terribly wrong, but rather that I think that this is an important time to refocus a healthy and open attitude to the goings on of the forum.

You have good points there. However, I would like to take this opportunity to give a little credit to the moderators here. I've been bumping my head up against them for years now and it honestly seems to me that they have improved over the years. I was perusing some posts from back in '05 recently and saw some definite tendencies towards heavy handedness, bordering on unfairness. To me, things seem much better than they used to be and I have recently seen moderators accomplish their goals without banning anyone or locking posts.

I guess my point is that I think things have been progressing towards "healthy and open" for quite a while now , with the occasional hiccup, and the moderators have enough experience now that they are much better at their job than when they first started.
--------------------
The cheese stands alone.

Sir FB
Sir FB
Who?
Who?

Return to Talk to Admins