Forum Index > All Realms > The meaning of your LORD name

Realm discussion - minus limitations.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Re: The meaning of your LORD name

Postby injektilo on Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Jay from Mall Rats - All It Took Was a Fat Chronic Blunt!

Great movie!
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Postby gother on Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:51 pm

When I went to Ohio State, there was a semi-goth bar called Mean Mr Mustards. I used to hang out there a lot because I like the music, even though I wasn't really goth.

Me & some of my friends noticed that a lot of goths were always trying to out-goth each other. Amusing. Some time later, someone actually published a card game called "gotherthanthou" (an obvious play on holier-than-thou) that capitalized on this same observation. I've gone by gotherthanthou online ever since.
gother
Membrain Man
Membrain Man

Postby Eden on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:11 pm

I started playing over a year ago, when I was pregnant with our daughter, and we were kicking around names...I really liked Eden. We actually ended up naming her that, so the name has stuck ever since.
Eden
Wicked Wombat
Wicked Wombat

Postby Dazhbog on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:18 pm

That is quite a lovely name.
“If I am occasionally a little overdressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.” -Oscar Wilde
Dazhbog
Wandering Hoosier
Wandering Hoosier

Postby Drawdoow on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:19 pm

It's my surname... backwards
Drawdoow
Manoken Sloth
Manoken Sloth

Postby Maverick1978 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:07 am

I've always used a variation of Maverick since I was a kid with my NES in the mid-80's... though I honestly forget where I first heard the name - it might have been Top Gun, however... can't remember now... the 1978 is probably self-explanatory to most ppl here 8)
Maverick1978
Madman
Madman

Postby acook331 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Mine is a nickname I got in the Navy.... the 312 is my oldests bday (month and day)
acook331
Headbanger of the West
Headbanger of the West

Postby Maiden of Malice on Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:45 am

Back in the ancient modems and quirky BBS's I was first addicted to the Usurper game and shortly after I found LORD. In Usurper my name was "Billy Jo Badass," but sadly the name was banned on the LORD BBS so I had to modify it. Maiden of Malice was the name I chose and have used it in most RPG's since. The name now has a second meaning as the initials spell out MoM, which brings me to why I was searching for LORD now.

When my son was young I had a jonesing for LORD and after extensive searching I finally found a site to play on at dragonparty.com. He would often sit on my lap while I read to him what was going on. My son is now 10 and he came to me the other day and announced that since he could read well enough he wanted to play LORD. It had been at least 3 years since I played last and, alas, the site is no more, so I did a quick google and discovered Nuklear.

I logged in and was once more sucked down the rabbit hole. I was so excited to start playing again that beyond knowing that the red realm is for experienced players and figuring I was experienced I joined the Red Realm. After I entered the realm and listed the warriors (for the first time~ Doh!~) I was more than a little intimidated. IMO there were SO MANY players. I felt like a minnow in a piranha tank, when I'm used to being the shark. It wasn't until after I finished playing that first round that really even discovered the forum (from my search I landed on the page that had the play LORD link, of course, I went straight there). :oops:

For me LORD was always more of a casual game, one where dominance was key, but casual just the same. I don't mind being killed in a duel, and while I read the rules to the Red Realm, I guess I didn't understand that a level 10 character was allowed to attack a level 2. I understand this now, and while I find no honor in the deed, I hold nor rancor against the warrior in question. Anyway, I digress. . .

I guess what I am trying to say is that there seems to be a common thread of concern over losing players and trying to induct new ones. The way this site is set up is intimidating even to LORD veterans and the internet savvy. There is a wealth of information in the forum, but for those doing a LORD search you may not find it "in time." When you do find it you find a lot of threads about there not being enough players and stats thrown out in fraction form (1/1, 100/100 huh??) I have been all over the forum and have yet to make sense of this. . . Then I hear talk of closing the Special Realm. This was the realm I was going to intro to my son as the competition is more ambiguous and a place for a true noob, but seriously, if you want to get more people into the coloured realms you need to have a sort of sandbox like the Special Realm for people who've never played before.

I don't know what kind of coding it would take, but maybe you could limit the play in such a realm to people who have played say 1 or 2 rounds, sort of let them get their feet wet before the jump off the deep end??

Just a few thoughts and while I know what I am saying spans many threads (sorry if doing so offends) I hope what I'm saying makes sense. . .

Best Wishes,
Maiden of Malice
Floating Evil Eye
Floating Evil Eye

Postby Dazhbog on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks for sharing the interesting background and your impressions of the site. I have no authority on this site, but I think your comments are very measured and potentially helpful since we're interested in attracting new players.
“If I am occasionally a little overdressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.” -Oscar Wilde
Dazhbog
Wandering Hoosier
Wandering Hoosier

Postby The Hairless One on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Back in 89/90 i got the bright idea to shave my head and eyebrows, prompting my sister to start calling me "hairless". It didn't stick, but I modified it to use on BBS's. Like MoM, I had played several turns here before I checked out the forum, and was a little embarassed to see my handle was of the same form as TMO. I'll probably retire it next round.

And it's great to play LORD again. None of the boards I ever played on had even 1/3 as many active players as Nuklear does.
The Hairless One
Small Bear
Small Bear

Postby LadyLord on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Welcome aboard, Short Bus! :lol:
~The dead do not bother me. It's the living that scares the shit out of me.~
LadyLord
Double Dragon Slayer
Double Dragon Slayer

Postby Electra on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:05 pm

LadyLord wrote:Welcome aboard, Short Bus! :lol:

"You're the short bus!,...short bus."
Very Sleepy People

Quote of the Week:
louisfemme wrote:I love it. Even when Electra loses, she wins.
Electra
Polite Police
Polite Police

Postby Logos on Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Logos
Dragon Slayer
Dragon Slayer

Postby LadyLord on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 pm

:-|
~The dead do not bother me. It's the living that scares the shit out of me.~
LadyLord
Double Dragon Slayer
Double Dragon Slayer

Postby Paige on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm a writer, especially of fantasy, so all my names come from my writing.

My name on the forums here, Paige, is the first name of my pen name.

My in-game names are character names from my fantasy novels, and I use them in pairs. For example, I was Fion in Blue and Thien in Special this past round, and they are the heroine and hero of the novel I'm currently revising. I've also been Lian/Dak, Cala/Aeris, Melavi/Alanis, Adrielle/Cel, and Radonfort/Livia. I might be Obsidy and Mylon next round, or I might pick the name for the hero that goes with Kyria and use those two names. Don't know yet.

So, remember all those names, because you'll see them in print one day! :biggergrin:
Paige
Winged Demon of Death
Winged Demon of Death
Adrielle
  @Blue Realm
Cel
  @Green Realm
Obsidy
  @Test Realm

Postby watdhell on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:24 am

In Special I am Shark13 which has been my "identity" since Al Gore created the Internet. I've used it so much that friends and family tend to use it instead of my name.

In Blue I'm once again using watdhell. After working in hotels in a tourist town for 10 years, I found that I used the phrase "what the Hell" a great deal. I shortened it to watdhell and it soon stuck.
watdhell
Headbanger of the West
Headbanger of the West

Postby monkeybot on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:05 pm

I like Lolcats.

And robotic monkeys.
monkeybot
Wicked Wombat
Wicked Wombat

Postby G8keeper on Fri May 22, 2009 5:09 pm

I remember LORD from too many years ago to mention but let's just say my TRS80 with dual 5.5 drives was state of the art! :biggergrin:
A friend reintroduced me just last year.
My name derives from my last name which in Welch means Gatekeeper. the G8 was when I shortened it for my license plate.
I am also a Sergeant of the Guard at our State Prison so I guess I am a gatekeeper here too.

I love being back to the game. Thank you all! :pirate
G8keeper
Silent Death
Silent Death

Postby Maedar on Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 pm

I've been playing AD&D for many years.
Upon reading the Monstrous Compendium, I was intrigued by the concept of a male medusa.
Plus, I thought the name just sounded pretty bad ass. Since then, I've used it for a number of PC's, NPC's, board handles, forum handles... you get the idea.
Before Maedar, I went by the name Tarrasque on a number of old BBS's as well. Guess where than name came from. ;)

-christian-
Maedar
Small Bear
Small Bear

Postby Data on Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:38 am

Anyone dare to place the source of my Name/Handle? I chose it as a handle randomly, and then it appeared briefly as the name of a Video game in a recent Animation Movie.

The NAME is HONKYKONG. What movie features this as a game in the Arcade?
Data
Small Bear
Small Bear

PreviousNext

Return to All Realms