Forum Index > All Realms > Interview With LoRD Creator Seth Robinson

Realm discussion - minus limitations.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Interview With LoRD Creator Seth Robinson

Postby injektilo on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:51 pm

We have a special interview this week with none other than the creator of Legend of the Red Dragon - Seth A. Robinson! Seth was kind enough to answer our questions about the game, his time creating it and it's legacy. Seth gives us some insight into his thoughts on the game and how he saw it being played. It's a great read and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Seth for taking the time to speak with us. :)!

1. Why is it that Death Knights have no advantage over Thieves? They seem to be the weakest class in every regard and seemingly possess no unique advantage to speak of. (Plague Monkey)
Being able to do double damage is nothing to sniff at!

2. What is your fondest memory from the heyday of LoRD? (Dazhbog)
Getting letters from all over the world would have to be it. Today, everything is so digital and automatic, I miss the hand written notes and scribblings.

3. Legend of the Red Dragon is heavily played and dissected all throughout the internet today, twenty-one years after its initial creation. Though some people have altered the client or content in one way or another, including >>Metropolis Gameport themselves, the basic 4.00a and below versions continue to not only survive, but thrive two generations later, drawing in players old and new. Did you expect the game to have this kind of legacy? (Doc Lithius/injektilo*)
Not really, I just wanted to get people to call my BBS. It took a while, but it worked!

4. Why is the Black Sorcerer, a Level 5 enemy, found at Level 10 as well, but completely unchanged? And why does the Vegetable Creature, a Level 11 enemy, have the stats of a Level 6 enemy (or Level 5 super-enemy)? (Doc Lithius)
Hmm, as a disclaimer, any answers I give will be based on my foggy recollections of the latest version I worked on, not the current version offered by Gameport. Sounds like a programmer oversight to me.

5. If you had your own Tardis (Delorean) and could go back in time and advise your younger self to do one thing different with LoRD, what would it be? (Maverick1978)
I'd tell myself not to bother with RIP graphix support (barely anyone saw that version!), to learn how to use C++ pointers properly. ... and buy some microsoft stock.

6. Why are the level eleven monsters so much more dangerous across the board than the level 12 monsters? Is this a subtle way of encouraging players to camp out at level 8 until they earn 10 million experience points and then go straight to level 12? (Valkyrie)
Erm.. they are? I mean, uh, that was a result of careful testing and design. Yeah, that's it. It wasn't at all just a teenager plugging values haphazardly.

7. Did you expect the game to be linear? i.e. people upgrade through all the weapons and gain experience on every level. Or did you expect people to strategize and dissect the game as is done now? (Plague Monkey)
Choosing which weapons to buy (or skip) is an important element of strategy I did want to happen. I didn't really expect players to camp out at level 12 though.

8. If the world ended today, what do you think your greatest accomplishment in the gaming industry will have been? (Maverick1978)
I've responded to every "help me learn programming" email received and released tens of thousands lines of code for free - I'm really proud to be encouraging budding programmers who will eventually make incredible stuff. We'll, they'd better.

9. When girls approach you do they always (A)sk you to sing and then do they (F)lirt with you, or do they go straight to (C)ompletely seducing you? (SilverGirl)

I wish! But if that ever happened, my wife would probably (S)lap me.

10. How the heck do all the Olivia algorithms work? I haven't managed to figure those out yet. (the mystical one)
Every visit slowly builds up your relationship with her. That's all I remember.

11. What is the deal with Jennie Garth? Was she your inspiration for the game? Did you religiously watch 90210? Or did Jennie Garth actually mean nothing to you and you were just making a cultural point? (Secret)
I was a big fan of 90210. I mean, I was a teenager. Someone sent me an autographed picture from her, that was great. Wonder where that is.

12. Finally, are you interested in strapping on your Full Body Armor, sheathing you Wan's Weapon and coming and playing a round with us? ;) (injektilo*)

Don't make me come over there and crush you all!

Speaking of strategy, let me take this opportunity to mention that the stuff I read today on LORD faqs around the web are mostly bunk. "Do this on odd days, and this on even days" type stuff is all false, there is no complicated methods that affect the odds of things; it's just simple Random() statements. I suppose it's interesting behavioral psychology that it can seem that certain rituals can affect outcomes, but it's simple superstition and confirmation bias.

It's warmly encouraging to know people are still reading my text and playing my games all these years later, thanks for the interview!

----

Thanks again to Seth and also to everyone who submitted questions, it was a great community effort! :)! Now, discuss!
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Re: Interview With LoRD Creator Seth Robinson

Postby injektilo on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:55 pm

First, someone needs to hand-write Seth a letter of thanks! ;)

Secondly, Death Knights do double damage? Are we missing something here? Has anyone ever tested a Death Knights 'normal' attacks against forest monsters etc?
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Postby Einherjar on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:46 pm

I've played in games that are set to have no limits, and fully mastered all classes. I never noticed the damage increased after fully mastering death knight. Perhaps it happens randomly, and I just failed to notice these mini-power moves. Or perhaps that element was accidentally omitted from versions after 2.
----------
That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.
Einherjar
ShadowStormWarrior
ShadowStormWarrior

Postby decode on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:37 am

Nice!

I expected more but still... Nice!

Congrats for the interview!

Have fun
decode
Weak Orc
Weak Orc

Postby the mystical one on Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:01 am

Einherjar wrote:I've played in games that are set to have no limits, and fully mastered all classes. I never noticed the damage increased after fully mastering death knight. Perhaps it happens randomly, and I just failed to notice these mini-power moves. Or perhaps that element was accidentally omitted from versions after 2.

They don't do extra damage as far as I can tell from examining things in detail. Beyond the normal x3 from their skill, which thieves get as well.
baldninja.com
If your intended destination is suddenly vaporized, consider pulling over and watching the cool light show.
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby Plague Monkey on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:05 am

That was a good read. Thanks for posting two of my questions, I feel special :D

In regards to the death knights I'm assuming he's just talking about their special attack and he means double as in "a lot more" and know because we tore it apart that it's a 3x multiplier.

Too bad he didn't go in to more detail on that one.
Plague Monkey
Empty Armor
Empty Armor

Postby Maverick1978 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:16 am

I say we start a traveling petition... get a handwritten note sent over to him with signatures representative of every country we have - see if we can get him to come play a round with us :)

(of course for logistics, we would want to have people sign a petition and mail them all to one person to forward to Seth - maybe they could include any notes that they would like to send... autographed Jennie pictures, maybe?)
Last edited by Maverick1978 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maverick1978
Madman
Madman

Postby tikel on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Great work on the interview guys!!!

Interview it self was as I suspect would be. Reading some of his former interviews I got the impression that he was done with LoRD when he sold it. And I think he never was truly big fan of playing it. Judging from his answers I doubt that he ever looked at that code after he sold it.

Something like Nuke did with Nuklear, it was fun for him to build it but when it was all done he lost interest in playing it.

I think that's not so strange as he wanted perhaps to move away from one successful thing to new challenges.
General Grievous wrote:You know, for someone who claims to not have that great a grasp of English, you get sarcasm pretty well. :?
tikel
Dragon Tickler
Dragon Tickler

Postby Valkyrie on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Awesome interview. Anyone put it on the LoRD FB page yet?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
louisfemme wrote:Verkerer ermergerded mer percturr!!

Morgan C. Talbot
Jasmine Giacomo
Valkyrie
Eternal Empress
Eternal Empress

Postby louisfemme on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:56 pm

Maverick1978 wrote:I saw we start a traveling petition... get a handwritten note sent over to him with signatures representative of every country we have - see if we can get him to come play a round with us :)

(of course for logistics, we would want to have people sign a petition and mail them all to one person to forward to Seth - maybe they could include any notes that they would like to send... autographed Jennie pictures, maybe?)

How about the Travelling Tin?
louisfemme
Mutated Black Widow
Mutated Black Widow

Postby injektilo on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:43 pm

louisfemme wrote:How about the Travelling Tin?

Heh, send Seth the travelling tin. Awesome!

I wonder if Death Knights have a powermove that is double strength? Or something similar?

I might do some testing to see what I can find. That would certainly change things up a little. Imagine how satisfied General Grievous would be if we had to admit to him that there is a point to Death Knights? ::doh::

Valkyrie wrote:Awesome interview. Anyone put it on the LoRD FB page yet?

I'm not on FB, but if someone could that would be great!
injektilo
Wizard of Aus
Wizard of Aus

Postby Maverick1978 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:23 am

Dammit. I just thought of a question that I haven't seen asked anywhere.

What are the origins of the Halloween story with Billy?

Doh!
Maverick1978
Madman
Madman

Postby Dazhbog on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:52 am

This was fun! Thanks for making it happen!
“If I am occasionally a little overdressed, I make up for it by being always immensely over-educated.” -Oscar Wilde
Dazhbog
Wandering Hoosier
Wandering Hoosier

Postby Joseph Lithius on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Hah! Go figure, I just thought of something last night. I never actually got around to making a question out of this, but I just remember that Seth later made a spiritual successor (no pun intended) to Legend of the Red Dragon later on, called "Funeral Quest"! It was a lot of fun, and though similar, it was still quite different from Legend of the Red Dragon. Instead of Forest Fights, you got a number of consoltations where you'd try to wring as much money out of potential clients as possible. There were random events where you could find bonus cash and stuff and you could also break into neighboring parlors and beat the crap out of the competition ("Player Fights"). It was pretty fun, all and all. X3

Anyways, glad he responded! Those are some interesting answers. ^_^
----------
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=(http://josephlithius.tumblr.com)=-
Joseph Lithius
Weak Orc
Weak Orc

Postby Infinite on Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:08 am

why did i always think his name was seth able?
Infinite
Membrain Man
Membrain Man

Postby the mystical one on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 am

Able may or may not be his middle name.
baldninja.com
If your intended destination is suddenly vaporized, consider pulling over and watching the cool light show.
the mystical one
Triple Dragon Slayer
Triple Dragon Slayer

Postby Joseph Lithius on Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:38 am

Infinite wrote:why did i always think his name was seth able?
Probably because that's the name of the bard which was based on Seth himself? :B

Wikipedia says his full name is, in fact, "Seth Able Robinson", but then again, that's Wikipedia. Robinson Technologies doesn't say anything about any "Seth Able", but rather "Seth Robinson" (and wife Akiko Robinson). So I dunno.
----------
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=(http://josephlithius.tumblr.com)=-
Joseph Lithius
Weak Orc
Weak Orc

Return to All Realms